Getting closer to the EU Ways
The EU acquis communautaire is body of common rights and obligations that is binding to all the EU Member States. It includes directives, regulations, decisions and standards adopted which together make up the primary law of the European Union.
The approximation of law means that countries aspiring to join the European Union must align their national laws, rules and procedures to the EU aquis communautaire.
Approximation to the EU acquis communautaire related to civil protection and to the prevention and disasters management is one of the core activities of PPRD East 2 which promotes and supports selective transposition of the relevant EU Directives, standards, guidelines and best practices so as to improve Partner Countries’ institutional and legal frameworks for disaster risk management and disaster risk reduction.
EU legislation related to civil protection covers:
- Flood risk management
- Major accidents involving dangerous chemicals and hazardous materials
- EU solidarity clause
- Early alert systems disaster response capacity
- Prevention, preparedness and response to man-made disasters and disasters caused by natural hazards
- Trans-boundary effects of industrial accidents
- Public access to spatial information
Overall, in this sector, the PPRD East2 work focuses on:
- Providing policy advice on the process of approximation to EU legislation and guidance to the relevant authorities on the review of existing legislation;
- Developing needs assessments, review key documents, identify gaps with regard to EU legislation and best practices, and provide relevant advice;
- Providing assistance with the process of approximation of legislation and convergence with the EU acquis;
- Providing advice on enhancing coordination among national institutions working in the civil protection and disaster risk management sector;
- Bringing Partner Countries closer to the Union Civil Protection Mechanism.
Priority areas of the Programme support on the approximation to EU acquis are:
- Flood risk management (EU Flood Directive);
- Disaster Risk Assessment (DRA);
- Disaster Loss Data collection and processing (DLD);
- European disaster response capacity; and
- Ad-hoc support to DG ECHO’s project “SEVESO Capacity Building in EU Neighbourhood Countries”.